What Kinds of Plumbing Problems Can Be Caused by Heavy Rains?
By Daniel Burke, 9:00 am on November 14, 2020
Climate change is experienced in different ways that are more intense than normal weather shifts. One of them is heavy rain, which is the result of too much water evaporating from the soil, leading to cloud condensation and causing massive downpours. Most areas across the globe have experienced such issues. San Diego, CA, has been forced to deal with the effects of heavy downpours. It’s been a recurring problem, leading to major damage to drainage pipes and often requiring emergency plumbing services. San Diego homes and businesses have experienced major plumbing issues because of these types of heavy rains.
Too much rain can lead to excess water overflow, leading to the breaking of underground pipes. Seasoned galvanized steel pipes are at especially high risk for being damaged. Any change of color in the water might be a sign of a broken pipe.
Debris swept by heavy rains usually ends up in drains, leading to blockage problems. Therefore, it leads to smells emanating from the drainage pipes, and this calls for checking the piping by professionals. You might attempt to use chemical cleaners, but it’s not advisable, since they rarely work and can damage the drainage system.
A combination of fungi and moisture causes wood to rot. It’s prone to occur in old wooden structures, as water tends to seep through the cracks. In San Diego, residents are advised to take precautionary measures to minimize or prevent plumbing issues caused by the heavy rains. These include:
- Placing trash outside in recycling bins and in the right places for collection. They should be away from curbs so they don’t prevent rainwater from flowing to the drains.
- Sweeping up sediment and disposing of it well.
- Reporting blocked and leaking drainage immediately after noticing any defects. The sooner professionals dry out, clean, and manage the area, the lower the chances of causing pollution, which is hazardous.
What San Diego Has Done to Deal with Rain-Related Plumbing Issues
- Replaced the old pipes and sewer lines made of iron to facilitate the surrounding infrastructure, which has resulted in a major decline in flooding and leakages
- Set up methods of monitoring new pipelines, with aggressive efforts by public utility crews that have had a huge positive impact on managing plumbing issues
- Set up new drainage pipes and sewer lines made of polyvinyl chloride, which is more durable than cast iron, hence reducing maintenance costs
- Established monitoring systems with drones that fly over almost all areas that are prone to plumbing issues, using the data collected to carry out terrain tests after rainstorms to identify problems that may occur in the future, allowing them to be resolved earlier and preventing further damage
If you’re having rain-related issues with plumbing in your home or business, don’t try to take care of them yourself. It’s best to have a professional plumber address the problem. When they need high-quality professional residential or commercial plumbing contractors, San Diego residents call on the pros at Burke Contractors. Our plumbing contractors are the best available, and you can count on them to solve any and all of your plumbing issues. To schedule an appointment with one of our plumbing contractors, call us today at 858-208-7765.